The purpose of this two-week Hybrid Course Design Institute (CDI), which runs August 2-13, is to support faculty in designing hybrid learning experiences that result in significant learning – that is, learning that has the potential to change students’ lives in lasting and important ways. While the primary focus of this institute will be on hybrid courses (in which a substantial portion of face-to-face instruction is replaced with online instruction), this institute will also be supportive to faculty members who are planning any course that includes both face-to-face and online elements (particularly those who are interested in using the flipped approach), or who are planning fully face-to-face courses in the coming academic year.
We currently plan to offer this Institute in a hybrid format - that is, as a combination of online, aynchroous activities and in-person meeting opportunities. Faculty members who participate in this Hybrid Course Design Institute (in which they will design or redesign one of their own courses) will be better-prepared to:
- Articulate overall learning outcomes that can be used as a "north star" in designing/adapting their courses
- Identify assessments that will support them and/or their students in determining the extent to which they have achieved the desired learning outcomes
- Identify learning activities that make the most of the affordances of the face-to-face and online modalities to support students in in achieving the desired learning outcomes
- Cultivate a sense of community and connection among their students and between students and themselves
- Foster student motivation to learn and the self-directedness necessary for students to succeed in hybrid learning environments
In addition, though participating in this institute (given that this Institute will be delivered in a hybrid format!), participants will deepen their empathy for what it is like to be a student in a hybrid course so that they might draw upon this in their own teaching.
Note: We are still working out the exact timing and location of the in-person activities. We will share that information here - and email that information to everyone who has registered - by the end of June (if not before!). At that time, those who have already completed the registration survey will have the opportunity to confirm their registration.